Baker Law Group offers dedicated legal services in Family Law matters. Legal disputes surrounding family matters are often delicate and sensitive issues that can be emotionally difficult for the involved parties, which is why our attorneys strive to provide both vigorous advocacy, as well as compassionate and committed support for our clients.
Our Services Include:
- Divorce and Dissolution of Marriage
- The Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act requires a decree of dissolution for a marriage to be dissolved, regardless of whether the marriage was entered into at common law or via statute.
- Common Law Marriage
- The state of Colorado recognizes Common Law Marriage. To be married through common law, the couple may have established a common law marriage if they intended to be married and represented to others that they are married. If two people are common law married, they will need to pursue a formal decree of dissolution of marriage to end the relationship.
- Declaration of Invalidity
- A declaration of invalidity, commonly known as an annulment, may be sought if the marriage was not valid when it was entered into. There are various reasons why a marriage may be invalid, such as: fraud and/or the mental state of one of the parties. While Colorado now recognizes same sex marriage, issues may arise for some couples as some states do not recognize same sex marriage.
- Legal Separation
- Legal Separation is a less drastic alternative to a formal divorce and may be used for parties that do not want to disturb certain affairs, such as, pensions, wills and trusts, insurance coverages, or religious beliefs.
- Post Decree Disputes
- Once a decree of dissolution is entered the parties must determine how to comply with their agreement. Additionally, there may be changes in circumstances that would justify a modification to custody, child support, and/or maintenance.
- Parties can seek a court order to determine the paternity of a child which, once established, can then be used for purposes of child support or parenting time.
- Child Support
- The costs of raising a child are ever increasing and a determination of child support can be ordered, in cases involving children, to assist the parent with the cost of care and expenses related to the child.
- Maintenance and Property Division
- Spousal Maintenance, referred to as alimony in some states, can be ordered in a dissolution of marriage action or a legal separation action and generally is spousal support for purposes of maintaining a similar lifestyle until the receiving spouse’s income is sufficient to support him or herself.
- Allocation of Parental Responsibilities
- An Allocation of Parental Responsibilities involves the physical custody and decision making rights of the parties. Courts look at what is best for the child(ren) and custody can even be given to grandparents or other people.
- Grandparent Visitation
- Grandparents and other people can request court orders for visitation with a child by showing that it is in the best interests of the child.
- A Guardianship is the process of appointing a person certain rights and responsibilities over a minor child.
- A conservator is empowered as the guardian of a child’s property.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- The best resolution for the parties usually involves one where they come to an agreement outside of court. This saves the parties money and eliminates the uncertainty of court orders. The use of Alternative Dispute Resolution is common in these types of disputes and may include mediation, arbitration, the use of domestic relations decision-makers, and parenting coordinators. Alternative Dispute Resolution can be both an effective cost-saving mechanism for you and also an opportunity to secure a better outcome.
- Child Welfare
These are some examples of the types of cases our attorneys can assist with. No matter your circumstance, our attorneys will provide compassionate and dedicated legal representation individually tailored to your particular needs. Every case is different so we urge you to speak with one of our attorneys to discuss your goals and how we can assist you in achieving them. We assist in all phases of the case, from relatively simple matters to complex and contentious proceedings. Baker Law Group is here to help you feel prepared and confident for the next phase of your life.
We understand that you may not want or need an attorney to assist you in every aspect of your Family Law case. We offer Limited Representation arrangements on a wide variety of Family Law subjects to best meet your individual needs.